5 DAY TRAIN OF WONDERS
ANDES MOUNTAIN TOURS
Rebecca Adventure Travel offers a huge variety of Andes mountain tours in the highlands of Ecuador. The Andes is the longest continental mountain range in the world. There is a lot to see and to do for sports lovers, but also for those who want to learn more about the Andean culture. The Andes packages, offer perfect possibilities for you to discover the adventurer in yourself. You can explore Ecuador and learn more about its culture by mountain biking, hiking, climbing, trekking and discover beautiful volcanoes and mountain peaks and by train! In the colonial capital of Ecuador, you can dive into the history of the city listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list. Via this link, you can find all the Andes Mountain Tours that Rebecca Adventure Travel offers.
5 DAY TRAIN OF WONDERS (41TOW5)
On this amazing journey the Train of Wonders you will cross through Ecuador and see the beautiful landscapes and panoramas that the country has to offer. You will start in Quito, go to the northern Highlands and visit the picturesque villages Otavalo and Ibarra. On the colorful Otavalo market, you will have the chance to visit traditional cultures, handcrafts, and modern export-class rose plantations. The second day the train will change his direction towards the south. You will continue your way through the Highlands of Ecuador and cross the impressive avenue of volcanoes as Alexander Von Humboldt used to call it. The route continues his way through the inter-Andean alley of Ecuador with its stunning views and landscapes that seem to be untouched by human society. From the comfort of the train cars, you will pass 20 volcanoes, where most of them are dormant or extinct for centuries. While going through this impressive avenue, there will be a stop at the highest peak of Ecuador the mount Chimborazo, where you will have the chance to visit this legendary volcano. The next part of the tray is The Mythical “Devil’s Nose”, this famous train pass awaits you with its vertiginous zig-zag route, then you will go through part of the Ecuadorian rainforest, before reaching the beautiful coastline of Guayaquil the train crosses the rice, sugar cane, pineapple and banana plantations of the Guayas province.
* The train can only be booked on Tuesdays, the availability of the departure dates can be found on the bottom of this webpage.
* It is also possible to take the route GUAYAQUIL – QUITO instead of QUITO – GUAYAQUIL. The itinerary is almost the same but in opposite sequence and you will start on a Saturday. Price and inclusions are the same.
With this tour, we are implementing a model of social co-responsibility in the operations. Here, the local communities and their cultural and natural heritage are at the center of the journey. This is contrary to the traditional model of luxury train rides which isolate you from the places you cross.
B = Breakfast included.
L = Lunch included.
D = Dinner included.
DAY 1 – TUESDAY (L, D):
QUITO – OTAVALO – IBARRA – QUITO
The departure time will be on Tuesday morning at 6.30 before the Swissôtel and will take you to the Chimbacalle Train Station. The train journey begins going up north to the Ecuadorian Highlands and within 1,5 hour the Otavalo market will be reached. This is the biggest, indigenous market of Ecuador, which is known for its colorful fabrics. On this market, you will discover the hidden wonders of the valley of Otavalo with its musicians, painters, weavers and the skillful woodcarvers who keep the old traditions alive. After visiting the millenary market, the journey will continue with the restored steam engine and with a slow pace, you will have the time to behold the beautiful landscapes of the northern part of Ecuador. After enjoying this train ride you will be introduced to the traditional Andean cuisine, visit the special export-class rose plantation and on the end of the day, you will go back to Quito.
Accommodation in Swissôtel in Quito.
DAY 2 – WEDNESDAY (B, L, D):
QUITO – URBINA
You will depart at 06:30 am in front of the Swissôtel and will go to the Chimbacalle station in Quito. The train will change his direction to the south and will make its way along the Avenue of Volcanoes. On a sunny day, you will be able to spot the twenty volcanoes, while enjoying the train ride. Most of the volcanoes are extinct or dormant for centuries. In the avenue of Volcanoes, the Andes range splits into two arms, that runs parallel to the south. The train will go through this fertile valley, which is rich in his biodiversity. The vegetation and landscape will gradually change as the train slowly climbs into the Andean Highlands. The train will stop at Urbina the highest point of the journey at the foot of Mount Chimborazo, which is 11,800 feet above sea level. There you will meet an ice-merchant and learn the story behind this ancestral trade.
Accommodation night in Hostería Andaluza or Hacienda Abraspungo in Riobamba.
DAY 3 – THURSDAY (B, L, D):
RIOBAMBA – THE DEVIL’S NOSE – BUCAY.
Departing from Riobamba the journey will take us towards Colta, in this place the Spanish conquerors built their first settlements in Ecuador. This region is marked by the colorful panorama painted in purple, yellow and red quinoa fields, rich with endemic species of flora and fauna, impressive wildlife, indigenous settlements and the remains of ancient cultures. The Guamote market will be visited, one of the last indigenous markets in the Andes, afterward the market you will go southwards and reach the famous Devil’s Nose. This mythical mountain pass has a vertiginous descent of 450 meters zigzag takes, which goes to the Andean highlands down towards the coastal plains of Ecuador. After the descent the track continues along the Chanchán river, it will cross an impressive cloud forest and the day will end in Bucay.
Accommodation in Hostería D’Franco in Bucay.
DAY 4 – FRIDAY (B, L):
BUCAY – GUAYAQUIL.
On the last day of the journey, the tropical rainforest will be left behind and the train moves forward to its destination by going through rice, sugar cane, pineapple and banana plantations. The lunch will be taken at a traditional hacienda, where you will be visiting cocoa fields and experience the growing and harvesting process of this fascinating bean. Afterward, the steam engine will continue its way through the plantations towards the coastline of Guayaquil, where the journey will come to his end after having crossed the breathtaking landscapes and panoramas of Ecuador. The arrival at the Duran station is 30 minutes away from Guayaquil and there will be a transfer to your hotel in Guayaquil.
Accommodation in Wyndham Hotel in Guayaquil.
DAY 5 – SATURDAY (B):
The day before the Train of Wonders came to end, after the breakfast you will have the opportunity to explore Guayaquil and continue your journey through Ecuador. If you need to go to the airport, there is a free airport shuttle service.
- Accommodation 4 nights in double private rooms at high-class hotels.
- Meals as described in the itinerary (B= breakfast, L = lunch/lunchbox, D= dinner).
- Snacks and Soft drinks on board are included (excl. alcoholic drinks).
- English and Spanish speaking guide.
- Transportation by train, bus, and van during the program.
- 24/7 assistance in Dutch, English, and Spanish.
- Extra excursions.
- Personal expenses.
- Personal travel & health insurance.
- Optional tips for the guide.
- Food & drinks that are not mentioned in the itinerary (Tren Crucero offers wine, beer, and whiskey).
$ 1.560,00 p.p. Child (under 12 years)
$ 1.735,00 p.p. based on 2 guests.
$ 2.082,00 p.p. based on 1 guest.
$ 2.322,00 p.p. based on 2 guests.
$ 2.722,00 p.p. based on 1 guest.
* For children under 12 years old we can offer a discount. Please contact us for the exact amount.
* Both categories receive the same activities and treatment on board, the only difference is the upgraded accommodation that Gold Class has, all the hotels every night Gold Class has luxurious haciendas and hotels.
This Andean Train tour is Fixed Group Tour. This means you have the same group and tour leader during your whole tour. Click here if you want more information about our different travel styles.
OPEN DEPARTURES FOR FIXED GROUP TOURS 2018: Quito – Guayaquil
June: 5, 19
July: 3, 17, 31
August: 14, 28
September: 11, 25
October: 9, 23
November: 6, 27
OPEN DEPARTURES FOR FIXED GROUP TOURS 2018: Guayaquil – Quito
June: 9, 23
August: 4, 18
September: 1, 15
October: 13, 27
December: 1, 15
OPEN DEPARTURES FOR FIXED GROUP TOURS 2019: Quito – Guayaquil
January: 8, 22
February: 5, 19
March: 5, 19
April: 2, 16
June: 11, 25
July: 9, 23
August: 6, 20
September: 3, 17
October: 1, 15, 29
November: 12, 26
OPEN DEPARTURES FOR FIXED GROUP TOURS 2019: Guayaquil – Quito
January: 12, 26
February: 9, 23
March: 9, 23
April: 6, 20
July: 13, 27
August: 10, 24
September: 7, 21
October: 5, 19
November: 2, 16, 30
December: 14, 27
- Inform yourself about food safety when traveling to tropical countries. Take the necessary precaution to avoid food poisoning (always wash your hands before eating, don’t eat ‘street food’, only eat peeled fruits, etc.).
- Please note that optimizing maintenance for rail assets is essential for delivering a safe and reliable train journey, so starting in February 2018 the tracks from Naranjito to Pistishi train station (meaning 80 km of the 450 km of the railway system) will come under maintenance. Regarding the Train of Wonders Tour on day 3 the itinerary will be modified, transportation services for this day will be provided on fully equipped touristic buses to deliver our guests the quality and excellence in services. All efforts are focused on resuming a regular operation.
- Rebecca Adventure Travel cannot take any responsibility for any illnesses or missed meals & tours due to an illness.
- It is mandatory to have valid travel and medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
- Rebecca Adventure Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, availabilities, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
- Important things to bring: Warm, windproof and waterproof clothing, appropriate shoes or boots, water, sunblock, sunglasses, pocket money, and passport.
- Altitude & Temperature: It ranges from 80 to 3,610 meters above sea level. The temperature ranges from 14 ° to 35 °C.
- It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the guests so they can create the perfect holiday;
- Team: the enthusiastic international travel agents have lots of travel experience themselves
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and her team
- 24/7 assistance: the team can be contacted 24/7 by phone (including Whatsapp) in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch).
- Insurances: Rebecca Adventure Travel possesses all mandatory insurances for tour operators.
When you book (the moment you sign the registration form or submit a booking request through Anyguide) a tour with Rebecca Adventure Travel you agree to the following terms and conditions: https://www.rebeccaadventuretravel.com/conditions/