CAYAMBE VOLCANO CLIMBING
Volcano Cayambe is the 3rd highest volcano in Ecuador (5790m) located in the Cayambe – Coca Ecological Reserve in the Cordillera Oriental of the Andes. At an altitude of 4,690m on its south slope, is the highest point in the world crossed by the Equator and the only point on the Equator with snow cover.
In these two nights you will have the chance to climb the Cayambe volcano. The climb takes between 5 – 7 hours while the descent will be around 2 hours.
Climbing at this altitude can be very difficult, so please be sure that you are well prepared. We recommend acclimatising by spending at least six nights above 3000m and climbing twice around 5000m in the same week. Please contact us for the available acclimatising packages. If you acclimatize well you will have a higher chance of making a successful climb.
Note: All hours are approximate except starting time.
|08:00||Optional breakfast at Papagayo Norte Hosteria (transportation and breakfast not included).|
|11:00||Meet with your guide to check the equipment.|
|13:30||Depart to the Cayambe Ecological Reserve.|
|14:45||Reach to the refuge (4.800m)|
|15:30||Start of the practice if the weather is ok, it would be on the glaciar, If not, the guide can decide to do it inside the refuge.
– Climbing Instructions
– Technical Speech
– Security Advices
– First Aid Instructions
|17:30||Return to the Refuge|
|23:30||Wake up; eat a small snack and gear up for climb.|
|Sunrise||Reach top of Cayambe|
|09:30||Arrive to the Refugio & drive back.|
|11:30||Arrive to Papagayo Norte and optional celebration lunch (additional $15).|
|13:30||Optional staying at Papagayo Norte or return to Quito (not included).|
Accommodation 2 days/1 night in a standard wooden refuge.
Professional bilingual guide (1 guide per 2 persons)
Transportation from Papagayo Norte to Cayambe refuge and back.
Meals as described in the itinerary (1x lunch, 1x dinner, 1x midnight meal).
Activities as described in the itinerary.
Special climbing equipment
24/7 assistance in Dutch, English and Spanish
Transportation from Quito and back (extra $ 85 per car per way).
Breakfast at Papagayo Lodge
Celebration lunch (optional $ 15)
Extra food and drinks
Optional tips for guide
2 days/1 night – $ 280 p.p. from 2-10 guests
2 days/1night – $ 495 p.p. for 1 guest
When you book (the moment you sign the registration form or submit a booking request through Anyguide) a tour with Rebecca Adventure Travel you agree on the following terms and conditions: https://www.rebeccaadventuretravel.com/conditions/
* There is one specialized climbing guide with every 2 guests
* Special climbing equipment which is included: polar pants, plastic climbing boots, gaiters, polar jacket, crampons, outside gloves, waterproof pants/ jacket, ice axe and climbing harness.
* Necessary Equipment which is not included: sleeping bag comfort zone -5°C (41°F), big and small back pack (rent for $10), camelback type vessel for water (rent for $10), water, inside polar gloves, energy drinks and snacks, camera, sun cream, head lamp (rent for $10), warm walking trousers, sunglasses, puffer jacket or similar, wool hat, walking sticks, face mask, large rucksack (50-70 liter) (only needed to transfer gear from the bus drop off at the base up to the refuge). Reasonably day pack(35 liters) (needed from the refuge to summit to accommodate plenty of water, crampons, warm gear including puffer jacket etc).
* The renting of equipment should be confirmed in advance with your agent.
* Important Notice: Mountain climbing can be a high risk activity which can expose your physical abilities to extreme conditions. For this reason we highly recommend to arrange a previous appointment with your doctor for a general physical check-up. We also recommend to not being taking any medication during your climbs, but in case you have to, you must previously ask your guide for authorization to take those medications during the tour.
* It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.