9 DAYS COLONIAL QUITO & GALAPAGOS ISLAND HOPPING
Situated in the Pacific Ocean, about 1.000 km away from the South American continent, these 19 islands and the surrounding marine reserve have been called a unique ‘living museum and showcase of evolution’. Located at the confluence of three ocean currents, the Galápagos are a ‘melting pot’ of marine species. Ongoing seismic and volcanic activity reflect the processes that formed the islands. These processes, together with the extreme isolation of the islands, led to the development of unusual animal life such as the land iguana, the giant tortoise and the many types of finch. These animals inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection after his visit in 1835.
Rebecca Adventure Travel offers a unique experience of the Galapagos islands, the way we see them: as locals. With this 9 day program your whole trip is arranged, from Quito airport pick up up to you your Quito airport drop off. Flights from and to the Galapagos Islands are included. You stay in tourist – tourist superior class hotel in Quito and the Galapagos and tours and activities are included as well. After 9 days you will have had a great experience at the Galapagos Islands with the highlights of the Colonial capital of Quito.
Today you will be picked up with an English or Dutch speaking driver from the airport. You will be taken to hotel Fuente del Piedra in Quito. Overnight at Hotel Fuente de Piedra.
DAY 2 (B,L,D):
QUITO – BALTRA – ISABELA
In the morning our driver drops you off at Quito Airport from where you fly to the Island of Baltra. At the airport in Baltra, you will meet up with your English speaking guide who takes you to the port of Puerto Ayora (Santa Cruz Island) for lunch. Afterwards, you will take the public speedboat (capacity of the boat 24 people) to Isabela, which lasts approximately three hours. After a brief rest at the hotel, you will head to the Flamingo Lagoon, which is the largest coastal lagoon found in the Galapagos and is one of the main reproductive sites for the grand majority of flamingos. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
* Airport pick up on start day of the tour from Baltra airport (any arrival time is good) and airport drop to Baltra airport off at the end day of the tour (any departure time is good).
DAY 3 (B,L,D):
SIERRA NEGRA ACTIVE VOLCANO TREK – CONCHA PERLA SNORKEL
Early in the morning, after breakfast, you’ll take an excursion to the Sierra Negra Volcano. The Sierra Negra Volcano is located 13 miles from Puerto Villamil and has the second largest volcanic crater in the world, with 6 miles wide and 300 feet deep. To arrive at this incredible sight you will travel by bus for 45 minutes to the Galapagos National Park, where you begin the hike to the Sierra Negra Volcano. This hike takes approximately 4 hours, it starts at 870 meters of altitude and at the top of the crater you will have reached 1040 m. After that you will proceed to the Volcan Chico, where you can feel the warmth of the ground as proof of the volcano’s activity. Here you will stop for a box lunch before returning to the hotel. After a brief rest in the hotel, you’ll have the chance to go snorkeling or swimming at Concha Perla where you can observe the colourful fishes, sea urchins, starfishes, sea lions, or even sea turtles. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
On this day you can also take a Great Snorkeling Tour to Los Tuneles instead of Concha Perla and Sierra Negra tours (+70 USD pp)
DAY 4 (B,L,D):
TINTORERAS AND WETLANDS
Early in the morning after breakfast you will visit Tintoreras Islet. It is called like this due to a large crack, in which white-tip sharks known as Tintoreras come daily to rest at the bottom. You will have a transport which will take you to the pier of Puerto Villamil, here you will board a boat for 10 minutes to cross to the islet which is located across the bay. It will be necessary for passengers to use walking shoes or sneakers (closed shoes) to cross the volcanic rocks. You can also observe penguins, sea lions, marine iguanas and you can go snorkeling with colourful tropical fish while enjoying the beaches of Isabela.
After lunch you will have a little break and then you will have a tour to The Wetlands, here you will visit the Giant Tortoise Breeding Center, where you will spot small and giant tortoises in their natural habitat. The next activity is a visit to The Wall of Tears.
From 1946 to 1959, Isabela was designated as a penal colony by the Ecuadorian government and prisoners were obligated to build a wall with enormous blocks of solid lava. Due to the arduous labour and hard conditions prisoners lived in, this site is known as El Muro de Lagrimas. Additionally, you will visit a small lava tunnel. “Tunel del Estero”, a 75m path with adequate lava plates ending in a staircase inside a lava tunnel. Above the tunnel you can see the intertidal landscape that offers a tapestry of Galapagos Sesuvium between “El Túnel del Estero” and Love Beach. The “Orchilla” view point, from this site you can see the bay and the town of Puerto Villamil, Sierra Negra Volcano, the Cerro Azul Volcano, islets and rocks. Finally the “love” beach. Love Beach, has a rocky sea access, is a site frequently used by the community of Isabela.
*Please have in mind that the total length of the walk in The Wetlands area is approximately 3 to 4 hours. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
DAY 5 (B,L,D):
CHARLES DARWIN’S STATION – TORTUGA BAY
Early in the morning you will take the speedboat (capacity of the boat 24 people) to Santa Cruz then you’ll have breakfast and after you’ll go to The Darwin Research Station. It is known for its amazing turtles, born from only 3 inches to 4 feet long. These species of turtles tend to interact with each other and also with humans, showing their head for a pet. The new hatchlings are kept until they are approximately four years old and strong enough to survive on their own. Now one of the most beautiful and relaxing shores in Galapagos, Tortuga Bay, it’s a harmonic destination on Santa Cruz island with subtle and soft white sand, captivating blue waters, marine iguanas and flamingos. It is only 2.5 km from Puerto Ayora on a nice brick path (30-45 minutes walking). There is the possibility to return to Puerto Ayora from Tortuga Bay on a boat with an extra cost of $10 p.p. and you will also have to pay for the guide that is going to be with you on that day. Departure time at 16:30. Accommodation at Fernandina Hotel or Dejavu Hotel.
DAY 6 (B):
THE TWINS – BALTRA
After breakfast, you will travel to Baltra Airport, but on the way you will stop by “The Twins” (“The Gemelos”), which are similar to craters, but formed by a collapse of the Earth because of the lava flows that passed below it. In the afternoon you take a flight back to Quito where you have the time to relax and to prepare for your last day in Ecuador. Overnight at Hotel Fuente de Piedra.
DAY 7 (B,L):
QUITO CITY TOUR
After breakfast, our guide pick you up to do a City tour in the historical centre of Quito (part of the UNESCO Wold Heritage list) and to the Equator museum. Overnight at Hotel Fuente de Piedra.
DAY 8 (B):
QUITO FREE DAY/ OPTIONAL DAY TOUR
Today you have a day off to explore Quito yourself, to go shopping or to take an optional day trip. (Mindo, Papallacta, Banos, horse back riding). Overnight at Hotel Fuente de Piedra.
DAY 9 (B):
After breakfast you will be taken to the airport.
8 Nights accommodation in double rooms at a tourist superior class hotel, exact hotels are subject to availability
Meals according to itinerary (8x breakfast, 5x lunch and 4x dinner)
One drink (juice, soft drink or water) during the included meals
English speaking naturalist guide
Snorkeling equipment on Isabela – mask, snorkel and fins
Transfer: Puerto Ayora – Isabela – Puerto Ayora (by speedboat or public transportation)
Transfer: Sta. Cruz – Isabela – Puerto Ayora – Baltra
Airport transfers Quito centre- Quito Airport (4x)
Flight Quito – Galapagos – Quito
Galapagos National Park entrance fee: $100 per person
Migratory Control Card: $20 per person
Isabela dock fee $10 per person
Water taxi $1 p.p. each way (this is a small boat that takes you from the Speedboat to the Harbor and vice versa)
Rain boots $2 p.p. (recommendable for Sierra Negra between June-September)
Wet-suits rent $5 p.p. (recommendable between May-November)
Other food and drinks as not mentioned in itinerary
Optional tips for guide
PRICE 2017 (if the tour is departing in 2017):
9 Days / 8 Nights – $1.990 p.p. based on 2 people
PRICE 2018 (if the tour is departing in 2018):
9 Days / 8 Nights – $2.160 p.p. based on 2 people
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the customers so they can create the perfect holiday;
- The staff: the staff use their passion and own travel experiences to create tours of high quality;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and are a unique and authentic experience;
- Tailor made: tell the team your preferences and they will create an unforgettable experience;
- 24/7 assistance: our team can be contacted 24/7 by phone in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch!);
- Insurances: customers will be traveling safely with Rebecca Adventure Travel because they are insured by Dutch guarantee funds (GGTO & VvKR).
* Please note that the food during the Galapagos-tour is basic local Ecuadorian food, if you prefer to dine outside your hotel, please let us know and we can give you a discount of USD 10 per day per person.
* You will have a guide during the whole program, except on the boats between the islands.
* There might be last minute Galapagos cruise deals available, please contact us for more info.
* Please try to bring small bags and luggage, The Galapagos public transportation is on average small and it takes more time and space when you bring large baggage.
* This itinerary is fixed, it can’t be changed. If you are looking for a customized itinerary, please send us an email.
* Please note that tap water at the Galapagos might contain bacteria so we recommend to always use bottled water, even when brushing your teeth.
* Consider informing yourself with your doctor about food safety when traveling to tropical countries and precaution measurements on how to avoid food poisoning (e.g. always wash your hands always before eating, don’t eat things on the kiosks on the street, only eat peeled fruit, etc.).
* Rebecca Adventure Travel can not take any responsibility for any illnesses or missed meals & tours due to an illness.
* It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
* The operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.