4 DAYS SAN CRISTOBAL EXPEDITION
Situated in the Pacific Ocean, about 1.000 km away from the South American continent, these 19 islands and the surrounding marine reserve have been called a unique ‘living museum and showcase of evolution’. Located at the confluence of three ocean currents, the Galápagos are a ‘melting pot’ of marine species. Ongoing seismic and volcanic activity reflect the processes that formed the islands. These processes, together with the extreme isolation of the islands, led to the development of unusual animal life such as the land iguana, the giant tortoise and the many types of fish. These animals inspired Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection after his visit in 1835.
Rebecca Adventure Travel offers a unique experience of the Galapagos islands, the way we see them: as locals. With our Expedition Programs you have the advantages of an organized tour but with enough freedom. Dinners are not included and some parts of the tour are self-guided. This means you have all the info you need but we won’t send (an expensive) guide with you.
This program takes you to San Cristobal, the island with only 4.000 inhabitants and a small cozy port when you go at night to walk around, have a drink or enjoy your meal. You will find sea lions everywhere and it is a true spectacle to watch them. There is a direct flight to San Cristobal 4 times a week from Guayaquil and the village of Puerto Baquerizo Moreno is only a couple of minutes driving from the airport. In these four days you will experience the highlights on land and in the sea with Kicker Rock, Isla Lobos, Tijeretas, La Galapaguera, the highlands and Puerto Chino. This is an intense 4 days program full of activities.
QUITO/ GUAYAQUIL – SAN CRISTOBAL – INTERPRETATION CENTRE – PLAYA MANN – PUNTA CAROLA
You take a flight from Quito or Guayaquil to the Airport of San Cristobal. Our guide picks you up from the airport and you will be brought to the Hotel (Galapagos Planet Hotel or Casa Blanca +25 USD pp per night). In the afternoon you can go on the self-guided tour to the Galapagos Interpretation Centre, Playa Mann and Punta Carola. It is also possible to arrange a private guide with an additional cost.
Highlights: Sea Lions, Fragatas, Marine Iguanas
Activities: Hiking, walking, swimming
Hotel Galapagos Planet or Casa Blanca (+25 USD pp per night)
DAY 2 (B,L):
KICKER ROCK (LEON DORMIDO) – ISLAS LOBOS
Early in the morning you depart on a speedboat to Kicker Rock (in Spanish Leon Dormido). The volcanic rock is a home to different birds (Blue footed booby, Fragatas etc.) but in the sea you see the great underwater life wherefore the site is that famous. The natural erosion of this ancient cone has created a channel between the rocks that provides the ideal habitat to view a variety of sharks and rays including eagle rays, white-tip reef sharks, and sometimes even the Galapagos shark and hammerheads! After that, you will have lunch and you can swim at Manglesito Beach and you can spot the sea lions on Islas Lobos. You will be back in the port around 3 PM. Please bring enough mosquito spray, sometimes there are a lot of mosquitos at Islas Lobos.
It is also possible to dive at Kicker Rock (two immersion) if you have your PADI certificate (+80 USD) including equipment.
Highlights: Incredible underwater world, frigid birds, blue footed boobies, sea lions, sharks, rays
Activities: Swimming, Snorkeling
Hotel Galapagos Planet
DAY 3 (B,L):
EL JUNCO – GALAPAGUERA – LOCAL ORGANIC FARM – PUERTO CHINO
This day you will explore the highlands of San Cristobal with a Spanish speaking private driver. It is also possible to go with a guide, but that will have additional costs. First you stop at the El Junco volcano, here you will all the way up to 696 meter to see the sweet water lagoon inside. San Cristobal is the only island of the Galapagos Archipel where there is a sweet water lagoon. From there you go the Galapaguera de Cerro Colorado, where you can find the San Cristobal Tortuga. You will have lunch at the beautiful organic finca “Otoy” (name of the plant which is the food for tortoises), where you can also hike for about half an hour to see the organic fruits, vegetables, coffee plants and the big canas (sugarcane). After lunch you go to Puerto Chino where you can enjoy the amazing white beach. In the afternoon the driver takes you back to your hotel
Highlights: Giant Tortoises in captivation, local farm, volcano, beach
Activities: Walking, swimming
Hotel Galapagos Planet
DAY 4 (B):
TIJERETAS – DARWIN STATUE – AIRPORT TRANSFER
This is already your last day on San Cristobal. After breakfast you can go on a self-guided walk to Las Tijeretas (30 minute walk) where you can find sea lions and the Frigid bird. Tijeretas is scissors in Spanish and they say that Darwin called the site Las Tijeretas because the Frigid bird has a tail like scissors. You can go swimming in the bay of Las Tijeretas for the last time. On the way you can visit the Darwin statue. From there you walk back to the hotel where our driver takes you to the airport.
Highlights: Fragatas, Blue Footed Booby, Darwin Statue
Activities: Walking, swimming
EXTRA DAY (B,L):
It is also possible to add one day tour to Punta Pitt. This is a very special place because you find both red and blue footed boobies. There are only a couple of departures per week to Punta Pitt so we have to check the availability for your tour. At Punta Pitt you go snorkeling two times, you have a local lunch on board of the boat and you have a hike of about 1,5 hours where you find all the birds. This all with an English guide. The boat ride takes about 2 hours from the port to Punta Pitt. Price for this extra day including breakfast, lunch, accommodation and the snorkel excursion to Punta Pitt is 245 USD per person.
* The operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
Accommodation in double rooms in Hotel Galapagos Planet or in Hotel Casa Blanca (+25 USD pp)
Meals as described (4x breakfast and 4x lunch)
English speaking naturalist guide during the boat excursions (local Galapagos guide)
Transfers: San Cristobal airport – Hotel – San Cristobal airport
Flight Quito – San Cristobal – Quito
Galapagos National Park entrance fee: $ 100 p.p.
Migratory Control Card: $ 20 p.p.
Other food, drinks and activities as not mentioned in itinerary
Tips for guide
4 Days / 3 Nights – $693 p.p. based on 2 guests or more
5 Days / 4 Nights (with Punta Pitt)– $1.081 p.p. based on 2 guests or more
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the customers so they can create the perfect holiday;
- The staff: the staff use their passion and own travel experiences to create tours of high quality;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and are a unique and authentic experience;
- Tailor made: tell the team your preferences and they will create an unforgettable experience;
- 24/7 assistance: our team can be contacted 24/7 by phone in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch!);
- Insurances: customers will be traveling safely with Rebecca Adventure Travel because they are insured by Dutch guarantee funds (GGTO & VvKR).
* It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
* The operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather, availabilities, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
* Please note that tap water at the Galapagos might contain bacteria so we recommend to always use bottled water, even when brushing your teeth.
* Consider informing yourself with your doctor about food safety when traveling to tropical countries and precaution measurements on how to avoid food poisoning (e.g. always wash your hands always before eating, don’t eat things on the kiosks on the street, only eat peeled fruit, etc.).
* Rebecca Adventure Travel can not take any responsibility for any illnesses or missed meals & tours due to an illness.