4/5 DAY AMAZON CUYABENO ADVENTURE
AMAZON CUYABENO ADVENTURE
This 4 Day Amazon Cuyabeno Adventure shows you one of the most pristine places on earth. The Ecuadorian Amazon Region takes up almost the half of the country, starting from the eastern slope of the Andes, the rainforest descends to the Amazon basin. It is defined by low altitude up to 1,000 meters, high temperatures between 25– 28 Celcius and daily rainfall.
Cuyabeno is a protected Wildlife Reserve of 590.909 hectares in the northeast area of the Ecuadorian Amazon rainforest. There are many different ecosystems within the reserve. You can see a lot of different plants, insects and animals. Only in Cuyabeno you can find 500 different species of colorful birds starting from tiny hummingbirds to the majestic Harpy Eagle. There are 240 different species of plants in one hectare, each one with a specific practical and medical use. Monkeys, Anteaters, Sloths, Dolphins, Tapirs, and Capybara, are just some of 165 species of mammals that live in the Cuyabeno Reserve. Amazing anacondas and caimans are 2 of the 91 species of reptiles found. The Cuyabeno Reserve provides home and habitat for countless plant and animal species as well as for local and Indigenous communities such as Sionas, Secoya, Kichwa, Shuar and Cofanes.
This program is designed for adventurous travelers who love to experience nature without being disturbed by cell phones or wifi. You will stay at a simple eco-lodge with fresh water, normal toilets, comfortable beds and a common chill out place. You will have three meals a day on long tables together with the other guests. Activities during these days vary between wildlife spotting by canoe, hiking and swimming. Find more information of the program per day below.
DAY 1 (L,D):
Your excursion begins in Lago Agrio at 09h30. If you go by plane we will pick you up at the Lago Agrio airport at 09h55. If you go by bus we’ll pick you up at a central meeting point in town. You will travel by bus or truck approx. 1 and a half hours to reach “Tarapoa” town where you’ll have lunch. After 20 minutes you arrive in the Cuyabeno Bridge (the principal entrance of this Protect Reserve). You immediately journey down the river to your Lodge (approx. 2 hours). Then your excursion into the rainforest starts and along the beginning of the river you can observe some species of monkeys and birds. Finally you will arrive to the lodge. Time for a short relax and later an introductory walk around the lodge. After dinner your naturalist bilingual guide will give you a briefing on the upcoming activities for the next few days and about the area.
DAY 2 (B,L,D):
After an early breakfast you start your journey because the brisk morning hours are the best time to see the rainforest’s thriving activity. You trek into the jungle with our Naturalist guide who will share his wealth of knowledge with you. You also have the opportunity to learn about how life in the tropical rainforest co-exists in a fragile balance. Botanic information emphasises the use of medicinal plants, which has been taught by the local ancestors for generations. You also find some species of amphibians, butterflies, centipedes and millipedes, snakes, birds, monkeys or any footprints of mammals in the trail. Next, you will return to the lodge to have lunch. Later you navigate along the Cuyabeno River to turn around the Kapok Island trying to find more species of monkeys. You also have a good chance of seeing the freshwater pink dolphins (Inia geo-ffrensis and Sotalia fluviatilis). Before dinner you venture into the forest to find species of insects, spiders, tarantulas, snakes or colourful frogs. The night world of the Amazon is perfect for spotting small species and enjoy the nocturnal sounds of the jungle.
DAY 3 (B,L,D):
An early activity will allow you to enjoy the nature with a good chance to watch some playful monkeys and some colourful birds. After breakfast you will follow the “Taricaya” that means turtle trail to visit the “Seoqueya” Community, where some local families of the Sionas Indigenous tribe live. A member of the family will show you how they prepare the “Yuca” bread which is called “Cassave” in English and your guide will explain the local traditions and culture from the past to the present. After, you navigate down-stream to visit the shaman house where he teaches you the ancient healing traditions and his lifestyle using the mystic practice of natural medicine. Next you will return to the lodge to have lunch. Afterwards, you’ll have time to relax and to enjoy the place. In the afternoon you go out with a motor canoe upstream to visit the Laguna Grande where you navigate in the amazing lake and admire the flooded forest by black water or “Igapo”, considered an amazing ecosystem in the jungle, dominated by the famous Macrolobium trees which are homes of Epiphytes plants and bird. There is also time to swim in the lake while we admire the spectacular sunset in the rainforest. Before you return to the lodge we’ll venture in the river to search for Caimans (alligator family)and fishing bats.
DAY 4 (B,L):
The last early activity is a short canoe excursion to enjoy the sunrise over the jungle. This is a good opportunity for bird watching. It permits you to create the last memory of this wonderful place. After breakfast you have time to prepare your luggage for the trip back. We navigate upstream to reach the Cuyabeno Bridge. A bus or truck will take you back to Lago Agrio, arriving at approx. 14h30 either to catch the Bus or the plane back to Quito.
* For passengers going for long trip 5d/4n, the additional day includes a morning walk and an extra canoe excursion admiring the wonderful landscape in the afternoon and also a night walk.
Accommodation 4 days / 3 nights in double room with private bathroom
Bilingual naturalist guide
Transportation Lago Agrio – Cuyabeno lodge – Lago Agrio
Meals as described in the itinerary (3x breakfast, 4x lunch, 3x dinner)
Tea, coffee, purified water (available all day)
Activities and excursions as described in the itinerary
Rubber boots and lifejackets
24/7 assistance in Dutch, English and Spanish
Transportation from/to Lago Agrio (Bus or Airfare)
Cuyabeno National Park entrance fee is free
Entrance to the Siona community visit ($ 8)
Optional tips for guide
Extra food and drinks
3 Days / 2 Nights – $ 250 p.p.
4 Days / 3 Nights – $ 280 p.p.
5 Days / 4 Nights – $ 370 p.p.
* Private bus transportation from Quito to Lago Agrio can be arranged for $ 20 p.p (one way)
* 4 Days Tour fixed departures every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday.
* 5 Days Tour fixed departure every Monday, Thursday and Friday.
* With 4 or more guests the tour can start every day
If you are a single traveler and you would like to visit the Amazon with our tour program you can do it without paying any extra single travelers’ fee at least if you willing to share your cabin with another person of the same gender. If you would like to have your own private cabin with your private bathroom it is possible but there is a single fee of 70%.
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the customers so they can create the perfect holiday;
- The staff: the staff use their passion and own travel experiences to create tours of high quality;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and are a unique and authentic experience;
- Tailor made: tell the team your preferences and they will create an unforgettable experience;
- 24/7 assistance: our team can be contacted 24/7 by phone in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch!);
- Insurances: customers will be traveling safely with Rebecca Adventure Travel because they are insured by Dutch guarantee funds (GGTO & VvKR).
*We advise to take a flight one day before your tour start to Lago Agrio.
* Some activities depend on weather conditions such as Caiman watching.
* Please bring your own rain poncho from your country, otherwise buy it here in Ecuador and take it with you for the activities. The weather can change suddenly in the rainforest and you might get wet.
* Please take with you some plastic bags, to protect your camera and important documents from the rain; a headlight, because at night it becomes very dark; and a bottle for water.
* If you like to enjoy watching at Animals, please get some binoculars (10×40 are much better).
* It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
* The operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
Please send us a message for more information and availability: