3 DAYS ECUADORIAN INCA TRAIL HIKE
The Incas made an impressive road system, which connected Quito, in the northern part of their empire, with Talca (south of Santiago, Chile). In the southern part of the Chimborazo province it is still possible to follow one of these ancient Inca trails. This trek will take us along paramo highlands, remote indigenous villages and enchanting mountain lakes, to the ruins of Ingapirca.
DAY 1 (L, D):
PARAMO HIKE & CAMPING
You leave Riobamba at 8.30 by car and drive south until you reach the small village of Achupallas at 3300m. Here you put your equipment on donkeys and then start hiking on the paramo grasslands. After about 4 hours of hiking you set up camp for the first night at 3950 m.
DAY 2 (B, L, D):
CUCHILLA 3 CRUCES TREK – SAUSAHUIN LAKE – PATOCOCHA
Today you will hike for about 7 hours, starting with a climb from 3950m to 4400 m. After 2 – 3 hours you reach the highest point of this trek, called Cuchilla de Tres Cruces. From here you’ll have a stunning view of Sansahuín lake, one of the many lakes in this area. Now, you go down again and pass the Paredones ruins, that used to be a resting-place for Incan couriers. From here you continue on the Inca road southwest until you reach Patococha at 3800m, where you pitch your tent.
DAY 3 (B, L):
You continue descending to the south for approx. 4 hours. Soon you can see the Inca ruins of Ingapirca, at 3160 m. Upon arrival you will visit the archeological site and learn about the culture of the Inca’s and the Cañari’s. From here you return by car to Riobamba.
Below a video to get an impression of the Ingapirca ruins:
Accommodation 3 days / 2 nights in spacious 4 season tents.
Private transportation from and to Riobamba city.
Meals as described in the itinerary (2x breakfast, 3x lunch, 2x dinner, coffee, tea and purified drinking water).
Activities as described in the itinerary.
Pack animals for all the equipment.
First quality camping equipment and waterproof bags for the mules or donkeys.
24/7 assistance in Dutch, English and Spanish
Transportation from Quito to Riobamba and back.
Additional food & beverages
Entrance fee Ingapirca Ruins ($ 6)
Tips for guide
3 Days / 2 Nights – $ 432 p.p. price based on 2 guests
* For children under 12 years old we can offer a discount. Please contact us for the exact amount.
You have to bring:
- Middle sized daypack
- Good hiking boots
- Clothes: thermal underwear, warm trekking socks, long sleeved t-shirt and long trousers, fleece sweater, waterproof jacket and pants, wool hat, gloves
- Sun cream with high protection factor (50 or more)
- Lip salve
- Personal toiletry articles
- Personal medicine
- Water bottle*
We provide during the trip:
- 4-season tent*
- Normal roll mat + thermarest mattress*
- Warm sleeping bag with sheet
- Thermos bottle for coca tea
- Rain poncho
- Rubber boots for muddy parts of the trail
Additional items for rent:
- Middle sized day pack (USD 3 per day)
- Waterproof jacket (USD 5 per day)
- Walking sticks (USD 5 per day per pair)
This is a “fixed group tour” if you choose one of the open departures and a “private tour” with the same guide during your whole tour if you are going on another date.
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the customers so they can create the perfect holiday;
- The staff: the staff use their passion and own travel experiences to create tours of high quality;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and are a unique and authentic experience;
- Tailor made: tell the team your preferences and they will create an unforgettable experience;
- 24/7 assistance: our team can be contacted 24/7 by phone in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch!);
- Insurances: customers will be traveling safely with Rebecca Adventure Travel because they are insured by Dutch guarantee funds (GGTO & VvKR).
When you book (the moment you sign the registration form or submit a booking request through Anyguide) a tour with Rebecca Adventure Travel you agree on the following terms and conditions: https://www.rebeccaadventuretravel.com/conditions/
* Important things to bring: warm, windproof and waterproof clothing, appropriate shoes or boots, water, sun block, sunglasses, pocket money and passport.
* It is important that you will have current travel insurance including personal medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
* The operator reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.