3 DAYS ALTAR TREK
ANDES MOUNTAIN TOURS
There are a lot of places to explore and its perfect for sports lovers, but also for those who want to learn more about the Andean culture. We have many Andes packages, which offer perfect possibilities for you to discover the adventurer in yourself. In these tours, you will be able to do mountain biking, hiking, climbing, trekking and discover beautiful volcanoes and mountain peaks. For example, you can go through an amazing immersion of the Andes, or visit the Cotopaxi and even climb the Cayambe. Let’s not forget about the Quilotoa, which has an astonishing emerald green lake, where you can hike down and by kayak be able to see the activity of this volcano at the middle of the lagoon.There is so much to explore, so what are you waiting for? Via this link, you can find all the Andes Mountain Tours that Rebecca Adventure Travel offers.
3 DAYS ALTAR TREK (22ALTAR3)
During this three day trek in the heart of the Andes, you will hike to the extinct Altar Volcano in the Sangay National Park. This volcano was one of the highest mountains on the planet before its eruption. According to indigenous legends, the top of the Altar collapsed in the explosion of 1,460 after seven years of volcanic activity. Volcanologists agree that the caldera is far more ancient than that. The caldera’s ridge is shaped like a horseshoe, has nine peaks of over 5,000 m (16,404 ft) and measures about 3 km (1.9 mi) across. Besides, the central basin contains a beautiful crater lake called Laguna Amarilla. The indigenous name of the volcano is “Kapak Urku”, signifying “majestic mountain”. Later, the Spaniards named the volcano El Altar (the altar) because it resembled two nuns and four friars listening to a bishop around the church altar.
This trekking will lead you through the green valleys of the Collanes Plain, pass by several waterfalls and hike up to the breathtaking Laguna Amarilla. When the weather conditions allow so, you can admire snow-capped peaks of the Altar Volcano during the trek and perhaps even see the mighty Andean Condor, which is the world’s largest flying bird by combined measurement of their weight and wingspan. Every day you will hike between four and six hours over the Andean Trails. Starting at an altitude of 3,830 m (12,566 ft), you will reach the highest point of the trek at 4,300 m (14,108 ft) on the second day. The trek goes up and down over muddy trails and steep hills.
B = Breakfast included
L = Lunch included
D = Dinner included
DAY 1 (L, D):
APPROXIMATELY 6 HOUR HIKE TO THE REFUGE
At 09:00 a driver will pick you up at your hotel in Riobamba and drive to a Hacienda near the entrance of the Sangay National Park, where you will start your trekking. Pack horses will carry your equipment. You start the six hours trekking at an elevation of 3,070 m (10,072 ft) and will hike all the way up to the Collanes Refuge at an altitude of 3,830 m (12,566 ft). During the trekking, when the weather is clear, you will be able to enjoy the snow-capped peaks of the Altar Volcano and the views over the Valley of Collanes.
Accommodation at Collanes Refuge.
DAY 2 (B, L, D):
HIKING TO THE LAGUNA AMARILLA
After breakfast, you will hike through the Collanes Plain to the Laguna Amarilla. Although it literally translates to Yellow Lake, this crater lake has a magnificent gray-green color. From the plateau at an altitude of 4,300 m (14,108 ft), the highest point of the trek, you have a stunning view over the crater lake and the snow-capped peaks of the Altar Volcano. You might even catch a glimpse of the mighty Andean Condor. In the afternoon, you’ll return to the refuge.
Accommodation at Collanes Refuge.
DAY 3 (B, L):
HIKING BACK DOWN
After breakfast, you will start hiking down the trail to the starting point. After lunch, a driver will bring you back to Riobamba where you will arrive around 14:00.
- Meals as described in the itinerary (B = breakfast, L = lunch/lunchbox, D = dinner).
- Filtered water, coffee, and tea.
- Accommodation in a basic refuge.
- Private transportation from and to Riobamba.
- Entrance permit and fee to the Sangay National Park.
- Naturalist guide.
- Pack animals to carry the equipment.
- Necessary equipment and waterproof bags for on the mules.
- Food & drinks that are not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Optional tips for the guide.
- Personal travel & health insurance.
The Altar hike is a private tour, which means the tour can start every day of the year. One guide will accompany you during the whole tour. The private tours are exclusively for you and your travel party. No other guests will join these tours so you can enjoy your privacy. Click here if you would like to learn more about our different travel styles.
$ 480 p.p. based on 4 or more guests
$ 520 p.p. based on 2 or 3 guests
$ 935 p.p. based on 1 guest
* For children under the age of 12, we can offer a discount. Please contact us for more information.
- Vegetarian meals need to be requested in advance.
- It is mandatory that you will have current travel insurance including health insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
- Important things to bring: warm, and also light comfortable waterproof clothing, water, sunblock, sunglasses, pocket money, and passport.
- Inform yourself about food safety when traveling to tropical countries. Take necessary precaution to avoid food poisoning (always wash your hands before eating, don’t eat ‘street food’, only eat peeled fruits, etc).
- Rebecca Adventure Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, availability, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the guests so they can create the perfect holiday;
- Team: the enthusiastic international travel agents have lots of travel experience themselves;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and her team;
- 24/7 assistance: the team can be contacted 24/7 by phone (including Whatsapp) in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch);
- Insurances: Rebecca Adventure Travel possesses all mandatory insurances for tour operators.
When you book (the moment you sign the registration form or submit a booking request through Any guide) a tour with Rebecca Adventure Travel you agree to the following terms and conditions: https://www.rebeccaadventuretravel.com/conditions/