15 DAYS – HIGHLIGHTS ECUADOR & GALAPAGOS
With this 15 day highlights Ecuador & Galapagos program you will see the highlights of Quito, the Andes, Amazon and Galapagos. This program is designed for travelers who like a bit of luxury and comfort. Transportation will be in a private 4×4 jeep and the you will stay in comfortable hotels. At the Galapagos Islands you will see the highlights including Isabela and Puerto Ayora.
ECUADOR & GALAPAGOS HIGHLIGHTS
B = breakfast included
L = lunch included
D = dinner included
DAY 1 (D)
At arrival at Quito airport, you will have a transfer to your hotel in the countryside of the Andes, this takes about 1 hour. You have a basic Ecuadorian diner included. Overnight in Hosteria Papagayo Sur
DAY 2 (B, L)
BIKING OR HORSEBACK RIDING AT COTOPAXI
Today after breakfast you go with an English speaking guide to the Cotopaxi National Park. Here you can choose to go horseback riding, mountainbiking or you can just walk around and visit the interpretation centre. Please let us know your choice beforehand to make the right reservations for you. After a local lunch you will drive to the hotsprings of Papallacta (about 1,5 hours). There outside pools are open until 10 PM so there is enough time to enjoy. Overnight in Hotel Spa Resort Papallacta.
DAY 3 (B, D)
QUITO – TENA
You have the morning off to walk around at the self -guided trails or to enjoy the pools. After lunch (not included) your driver picks you up to go to the Amazon where your 3 day stay in the Eco-Lodge can start. The drive to Tena takes about 3,5 hours. Upon arrival in the Eco-lodge you get a welcome drink and next day’s activities are discussed. Overnight in Cotococha Eco-Lodge or similar
DAY 4 (B, L, D)
“AMAZOONICO” RESCUE CENTRE – QUICHUA FAMILY VISIT – CHOCO MAKING
After breakfast, you will depart by canoe downstram, to arrive at Misahualli where you stop to have a check by the marine police (don’t forget your passport). From there you will go further into the jungle to arrive at Rio Arajuno. Here you visit the AmaZOOnico Rescue Centre for animals. This is a center specialized in rescuing wild animals for conservation and reintegration into their natural habitat. Here you observe a variety of species such as toucans, parrots, monkeys of various kinds, ocelots, capybaras, and more. Then you back to the lodge but on the way you visit an indigenous community, where you will get to know a local Quichua family. They will show their ancient customs about how to wash the gold on the banks of the river, the development of traditional ceramics, the preparation of Chicha (typical drink) and the use of their hunting techniques with a blowgun. After this interesting introduction in the Quichua culture, you go back to the lodge. In the lodge you join a workshop on the process of how to make Artisan chocolate and you will taste it with delicious fruits. At 20.00 you will have dinner at the lodge. Overnight in Cotococha Eco-Lodge or similar
DAY 5 (B, L)
RAFTING JATUN YACU
After breakfast you will go white water rafting! This acitivity takes you to a Clase 3 river with some rapids. You enjoy the views of the Amazon and before driving back to Quito you will have a local lunch together with one of the communities. Drive back to Quito is about 4,5 hours. Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina. It is also possible to make an upgrade for another hotel like JW Marriot, LeParq or Casa Gangotena.
DAY 6 (B, L)
QUITO CITY TOUR – EQUATOR LINE – PULULAHUA CRATER
In the morning, you will be picked up at your hotel, to start your Quito city tour. At first, you will go to the Panecillo Hill, with the famous Virgin Mary statue. You will have an amazing view over the city. Then you will visit all the highlights: the la Basilica church, the main squares and the San Francisco church. After a typical Ecuadorian lunch, you will go to the Mitad del Mundo Museum called Intiñan. Here you can do experiments, to prove the effects the equator has on gravity. After this, you will also visit the Pululahua crater before going back to Quito. Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina.
DAY 7 (B, L)
OTAVALO PRIVATE TOUR
Early in the morning the guide picks you up at your hotel and you will go to Otavalo. First you make a stop at Lago San Pablo to enjoy the delicious local Cayambe biscuits. From there you go to the Condor Rescue Centre to enjoy a flight show of the Ecuadorian raptors. Please note that the Condor Rescue Centre is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. If it is closed you will make an extra stop in Cotocachi leathertown. Before lunch you will visit the Otavalo Poncho Market (biggest on Saturdays). You will have lunch at a local restaurant and in the afternoon you visit the Peguche Waterfall where you do small hike of about an hour. After this activity you go back to Quito. Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina.
DAY 8 (B, L)
QUITO – BALTRA – SANTA CRUZ – ISABELA
Early in the morning you fly from Quito to the Island of Baltra (about 2 hours flight). At the Baltra airport, you meet up with our English speaking guide who will take you to the port of Puerto Ayora (Santa Cruz Island). Afterwards, you take the public speedboat (capacity of the boat 24 people) to Isabela. This will take approximately three hours. After a brief rest at the hotel, you will head to the Flamingo Lagoon, which is the largest coastal lagoon found in the Galapagos and is one of the main reproductive sites for the grand majority of flamingos. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
DAY 9 (B, L)
SIERRA NEGRA ACTIVE VOLCANO TREK – CONCHA PERLA SNORKEL
Early in the morning, after breakfast, you’ll take an excursion to the Sierra Negra Volcano. The Sierra Negra Volcano is located 13 miles from Port Villamil and has the second largest volcanic crater in the world, with 6 miles wide and 300 feet deep. To arrive at this incredible sight you will travel in bus for 45 minutes to the Galapagos National Park, where you begin the hike to the Sierra Negra Volcano. This hike takes approximately 4 hours, it starts at 870 meters of altitude and at the top of the crater you will have reached 1040 m. After that you will proceed to the Volcan Chico, where you can feel the warmth of the ground as proof of the volcano’s activity. Here you will stop for a box lunch before returning to the hotel. After a brief rest in the hotel, you’ll have the chance to go snorkeling or swimming at Concha Perla where you can observe the colourful fishes, sea urchins, starfishes, sea lions, or even sea turtles. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
DAY 10 (B, L)
You go on one of the 2 shifts of the Los Tuneles tours, which takes about 6 hours in total. You leave from the dock in Isabela. Navigate by speedboat about 40 minutes from where you visit the Lava Tunnels. Afterwards you naivgate a little bit more to get out of the boat for the snorkeling part. Here you will hopefully see white tip sharks, seastars and coloured fish. You have a boxlunch on the boat before navigating back to Isabela. The rest of the day you can use to visit the pristine beaches of Isabela by yourself. Accommodation at Hotel San Vicente or La Laguna Hotel.
DAY 11 (B, L)
CHARLES DARWIN’S STATION – BAY TOUR
Very early in the morning (6AM) you take the public speedboat back to Santa Cruz. After breakfast in the hotel you will visit first the Charles Darwin Research Station. It is known for its amazing turtles, born from only 3 inches to 4 feet long. These species of turtles tend to interact with each other and also with humans, showing their heads for a pet. The new hatchlings are kept until they are approximately four years old and strong enough to survive. After lunch at a local restaurant you will go on the Bay Tour.
With the Bay Tour you visit the highlights around Puerto Ayora by boat. The first destination will be “La Loberia” where you find sea lions. Next you will navigate for about 15 minutes to arrive at Punta Camaño Islet. Here you will snorkel with sea lions, large variety of fish also you will go on a channel where you can spot “Tintoreras” sharks and blue footed boobies. Your next activity will be a visit to the “Channel of Love”. This is another formation by fissure that result on a beautiful sleepy water channel with excellent scenic beauty. Finally “Playa de los Perros”. This is a 15 minute walk until you reach the beach where you will be able to observe lots of dog crabs colonies, lots of large marine iguanas on the island and unparalleled scenic views. Get an impression of this tour by watching the video. Overnight at Hotel Fernandina or Dejavu.
DAY 12 (B)
THE TWINS – BALTRA
After breakfast, you will travel to Baltra Airport, but on the way you will stop by The Twins. These are similar to craters, but formed by a collapse of the Earth because of the lava flows that passed below it. Upon arrival to the airport, you will depart back to Quito. Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina.
DAY 13 (B)
FREE DAY QUITO
Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina.
DAY 14 (B, L)
MINDO CLOUD FOREST
After breakfast the guide picks you up to drive the Mindo’s cloud forest. Here you will visit the chocolate factory of Quetzal to try their famous brownie. Afterwards you can choose between ziplining (10 lines) or a hike to the waterfalls with the Tarabita car. You’ll enjoy a local lunch before driving back to Quito. Overnight in Hotel Sierra Madre or Private Apartment close to Parque Carolina.
DAY 15 (B)
Today you will have a transfer back to Quito airport.
- All meals are included (B= breakfast, L = lunch/lunchbox, D= dinner).
- Accommodation in double/single private room at standard tourist class hotels.
- Airport pick up and drop off at Baltra airport at your arrival/departure time.
- Transportation on and between the Islands as described in the itinerary.
- Local naturalist guide (English & Spanish speaking).
- All activities as described in the itinerary.
- Snorkeling equipment: mask, snorkel, fins and life vest.
- 24/7 assistance in English, Dutch and Spanish.
- Return flights from mainland Ecuador to Galapagos Islands.
- Food & drinks that are not mentioned in the itinerary
- Entrance fee for the Galapagos National Park: $ 100 p.p. cash only.
- Migratory Control Card / Ingala Transit Card $ 20 p.p. – cash only.
- Isabela dock fee $ 10 p.p. cash only.
- Water Taxi (small boat that takes you from the speedboat to the harbor and back)
- Personal travel & health insurance
- For rent: wetsuit (recommended between May – November) $ 5 p.p. per day – cash only
- For rent: rain boots (recommended for Sierra Negra hike between June – September) $ 2 p.p. per day
- Optional tips for the guide
All the Galapagos & Ecuador tours are shared group tours. The shared group tours are a mix between group day tours and individual private day tours. Every group day tour will have different travelers. You can have a different driver/guide every day. There are different tour coordinators on every island. You can start this tour every day of the year.
For 4 travelers or more: USD 3,120 p.p.
For 2 travelers or more: USD 3,360 p.p.
* For children under 12 years old we can offer a discount. Please contact us for the exact amount.
If you depart in 2018 use the code “WINTERSALE15DECU” in your booking and get a 5% discount on your Galapagos Island Hopping program!
How to obtain this discount?
1. Click on the “book now” button on the tour page
2. Fill out your departure date and number of guests and click on request booking
3. Below creditcard details click on “redeem discount code”
4. Enter WINTERSALE15DECU in discount code box
EXTRA INFO ABOUT THIS TOUR
- It is recommend to book flights with an early arrival time to the Galapagos Islands and a late departure time from the Galapagos Islands to make sure you can enjoy all of the activities of the tour. Late arrivals and/or early departures mean you might miss some activities.
- If your flight is delayed or cancelled and you cannot make it to Puerto Ayora in time to take the last speedboat to Isabela Island, which departs around 14:00, the team assist you with finding accommodation on Santa Cruz Island but this will be on your own expense. You will miss the planned activities.
- There are no guides on the transportation by public speedboat between islands.
- Try to only bring small baggage/bags since public transportation on the Galapagos Islands is quite small.
- All meals consist of basic, local Ecuadorian food. If you prefer to have dinner outside the hotel, you can get a discount of $ 10 p.p./per day. Please let us know beforehand if you want this option.
- Tap water on the Galapagos Islands might contain bacteria and should not be consumed, not even for brushing you teeth. Bottled or purified water is always recommended.
- Inform yourself about food safety when traveling to tropical countries. Take the necessary precaution to avoid food poisoning (always wash your hands before eating, don’t eat ‘street food’, only eat pealed fruits, … ).
- It is mandatory to have valid travel and medical insurance. Please inform us of any known medical conditions you have.
- Rebecca Adventure Travel reserves the right to change the itinerary without previous notice due to weather conditions, availabilities, National Park regulations or notifications and unforeseeable circumstances.
ADVANTAGES OF BOOKING WITH REBECCA ADVENTURE TRAVEL
- Personal attention: the team would like to get to know the guests so they can create the perfect holiday;
- Team: the enthusiastic international travel agents have lots of travel experience themselves;
- Authenticity: the tours are personally selected by Rebecca and her team;
- 24/7 assistance: the team can be contacted 24/7 by phone (including Whatsapp) in case of emergencies or unexpected situations (they speak English, Spanish and Dutch);
- Insurances: Rebecca Adventure Travel possesses all mandatory insurances for tour operators.